Work Permit in Canada

The work permit is a document provided by Canadian immigration authorities to any foreign national wishing to work in Canada and who does not have permanent resident status.

There are two types of work permit that can be issued: the closed work permit which only authorizes the applicant to work for a specific employer, and the open work permit which offers the applicant the possibility to work for any employer in Canada.

LMIA application or LMIA exemption

To apply for a work permit, the employer may first have to submit a Labor Market Impact Assessment “LMIA” application.

This application process can be complex, considering the number of proofs and documents that must be provided, and long – which is why it is always important to be informed before starting the process.

Certain work permit applications are exempt from LMIA, and in these situations it will be possible to submit the application directly to Immigration Canada, subject to meeting the conditions related to the exemption in question.

photo permis de travail haut
photo permis de travail bas

Other conditions for obtaining a work permit

There are certain requirements that must be met before a person can apply for a work permit. For example, it is necessary to prove to the immigration officer that the applicant will leave Canada when their work permit expires.

The applicant must also have sufficient financial funds to support themselves and their family during their stay in Canada.

These conditions are once again not exhaustive, and in order to know if you meet the eligibility conditions, we invite you to contact us to discuss the conditions with a professional.

This article contains general immigration information and does not constitute advice or legal guidance. For a full and detailed legal opinion as well as an assessment of your situation, contact our lawyer.

Alice Santamaria, immigration lawyer

Alice Santamaria has practiced exclusively in Canadian immigration law for several years in Montreal.

Passionate about defending her clients and the success of each immigration project, Me Santamaria represents each client by making sure to provide transparent, personalized, and professional service while maintaining a human approach.

Before becoming a lawyer, Me Santamaria completed a Master’s in International Law at the University of Montreal, worked at the United Nations in Geneva, and was involved in several associations fighting for human rights and defending the rights of immigrants and refugees.


Our practice areas



Visitor visa

Do you want to visit Canada or temporarily join your grandchildren or children?


Study permit

Do you want to start or continue your studies in Canada?

work permit

Work permit

Do you want to work in Canada?

Are you a Canadian employer looking to hire a foreign worker?


Qualified worker

Are you a qualified worker and you wish to apply for permanent residence in Quebec or in another province in Canada?


Family reunion

Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and would like your spouse to join you permanently in Canada?


Humanitarian and asylum cases

Are you an asylum seeker seeking protection from Canada?

In some situations, you may be able to apply for permanent residence on humanitarian grounds.


Canadian citizenship

The status of Canadian citizen opens all the doors of Canada to an individual and is the “holy grail” for any temporary resident or permanent resident wishing to live in Canada.


Permanent residence

Permanent residence is a status that allows an individual to settle freely in a province of their choice in Canada. He has the opportunity to live, work and study there, just like a Canadian citizen.

Our Office

4284 De La Roche St Montreal, QC H2J 3H9 Canada

Opening Hours

Monday to Friday
9:00AM to 6:00PM