Study Permit in Canada

The study permit is a document issued to foreign nationals wishing to undertake or continue their studies in Canada.

What are the requirements to be able to apply?

First, the applicant must have received a letter of acceptance from a school or university on the list of designated educational institutions, or DLIs.

They must also have the financial means to continue their studies in Canada, in particular to pay the tuition fees, the living expenses, and the costs related to the return travel once the studies are completed.

Note that if you wish to study in the province of Quebec, you must also hold a Quebec “CAQ” certificate of acceptance.

permis études haut

Who is exempt from presenting a study permit to study in Canada?

Almost all foreigners wishing to continue their studies in Canada must obtain a study permit. However, there are some exceptions.

How to prepare your application to obtain the permit

In order to apply for a study permit, the student must provide a complete file to the immigration authorities and ensure that all the requirements are met.

These conditions are once again not exhaustive, and in order to know if you meet the eligibility conditions, we invite you to contact us to discuss the conditions with a professional.

This article contains general immigration information and does not constitute advice or legal guidance. For a full and detailed legal opinion as well as an assessment of your situation, contact our lawyer.

Alice Santamaria, immigration lawyer

Alice Santamaria has practiced exclusively in Canadian immigration law for several years in Montreal.

Passionate about defending her clients and the success of each immigration project, Me Santamaria represents each client by making sure to provide transparent, personalized, and professional service while maintaining a human approach.

Before becoming a lawyer, Me Santamaria completed a Master’s in International Law at the University of Montreal, worked at the United Nations in Geneva, and was involved in several associations fighting for human rights and defending the rights of immigrants and refugees.


Our practice areas



Visitor visa

Do you want to visit Canada or temporarily join your grandchildren or children?


Study permit

Do you want to start or continue your studies in Canada?

work permit

Work permit

Do you want to work in Canada?

Are you a Canadian employer looking to hire a foreign worker?


Qualified worker

Are you a qualified worker and you wish to apply for permanent residence in Quebec or in another province in Canada?


Family reunion

Are you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and would like your spouse to join you permanently in Canada?


Humanitarian and asylum cases

Are you an asylum seeker seeking protection from Canada?

In some situations, you may be able to apply for permanent residence on humanitarian grounds.


Canadian citizenship

The status of Canadian citizen opens all the doors of Canada to an individual and is the “holy grail” for any temporary resident or permanent resident wishing to live in Canada.


Permanent residence

Permanent residence is a status that allows an individual to settle freely in a province of their choice in Canada. He has the opportunity to live, work and study there, just like a Canadian citizen.

Our Office

4284 De La Roche St Montreal, QC H2J 3H9 Canada

Opening Hours

Monday to Friday
9:00AM to 6:00PM